Thursday, April 8, 2010

Day 19: Two becomes four













Today was the day that two became four. Christina's mom, Catherine, and her husband, Everett, arrived this evening for a permanent visit. They are moving in to an apartment directly above our own. My mind was absolutely buzzing when I left school this afternoon. On my drive to the store I began sifting through memories of my vegetarian days, trying remember which meals I found to be the most satisfying, because Catherine and Everett are vegetarians. The timing of their arrival couldn't be more perfect, for a number of reasons. The first of which, being that I have 10 days of dinner left to prepare, and I have discovered that I consistently am cooking for 4 instead of 2.

"Hon, look at all the leftovers we have in our fridge." Christina said bent over and peering into the bright white refrigerator, her hand gripped firmly on the handle.

I shot her a hard look, as though to say 'are you sure you really wanna complain about that, cause I will pull out the resentful housewife routine so fast that it will make your head spin.'

"...I mean to say..isn't it wonderful that there is so much food in our refrigerator..bbbecause mom and Everett will have something to snack on when they arrive." She shut the door slowly, and tiptoed out of the kitchen.

It really isn't easy to cook for just two people, especially when you are trying to incorporate a diverse array of ingredients. One has to constantly think about what needs to be used immediately, or else food ends up wasted. When you don't listen to the food to hear what needs to be used up next, you run the risk of filling up your trash or compost too fast.

"Jeez, you sure know how to fill up a trash can" Christina said. Then without looking up, as though she could feel the daggers in my eyes, she slowly shut the trash and tiptoed out of the kitchen.

So Everett and Catherine's arrival is just what I needed to help me start using food more efficiently, and to encourage me to incorporate some more vegetarian recipes, which I consider to be my specialty, into this dinner blog.

Now I am going to sip my tea through saffron sugar cubes, and bask in the excited chatter of family.

Vegetarian Burritos

In a small saucepan heat
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/4 tsp salt
cook for about 3 min, then add
1 cup washed white rice
Stir the rice into the onions until the rice begins to smell toasty. Add about 1 1/2 cups water or stock and bring to a boil. Cook uncovered until the water is gone (about 15 min) or until the rice is cooked to desired texture.
In a frying pan, cook the other half of the onion (diced) in 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add 1/4 tsp salt and 2 cloves minced garlic. Add
2 cups black beans
1/2 diced green pepper
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
4 small sweet peppers, diced.
Have ready:
shredded cheese
diced tomato
fresh cilantro
re-fried pinto bean
whole grain tortillas
fill the tortillas with desired filling and roll by first folding one end over the filling, folding the ends in and rolling it up. Spread a little olive oil on top and place in a 350 degree oven until crisp.

Serve with steamed broccoli and garlic.
in a saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil and 1/4 tsp salt. Add 3 cloves minced garlic and immediately add 1 head of broccoli split into pieces by hand. Toss the broccoli in the garlic oil, then add a little water to the pot and cover until the broccoli is bright green and cooked to desired texture.

Everett's vote: "The burrito I always wanted when I was in Arizona"

No comments:

Post a Comment