Thursday, March 25, 2010

Day 5: All Streams Lead to the River












"How do you have time to do all that cooking? Don't you ever do research?" I was sitting in my usual seat in Biostatistics, crammed into a little desk chair in a huge lecture hall between Drew and Norman. Drew, Norman, and I are all PhD students at the University of Minnesota in the department of Nutrition. The major difference between us is that they are both funded, both well into their research, and both on a straight path to graduation. I took a slight detour from the PhD to get my masters degree in...beans.

In case you are wondering, fresh beans are higher in antioxidants, tend to cook faster, and have an incredibly rich flavor when compared with beans bought from the grocery store. When buying beans from the store, try to look for something grown locally (check out the bulk section of your co-op, or try to find them at a farmers market). If possible, try to find some beans that have been stored in dark packaging... (I digress..)

I am now branching into the field of nutrition and neuroscience. Because I have chosen to change my research direction from studying beans to studying brains, I am, in a way, starting over. Norman is absolutely right. I probably would be much further along in my research were I not continually picking up these little side projects along the way.

"I don't watch television". I explained to Norman, in a whisper, as the professor clicked through his slides. This is the way I typically respond to such a question. It's a rationalization. The truth is, I can't help myself. I feel compelled to cook and write.

"Listen to your passion" said Bill, a fellow chef/nutrition student. Bill has a shaved head, black rimmed glasses, and stretched out piercings in his earlobes. He is currently researching ways to help chefs incorporate more whole grains into their menus. "You have a gift, see where it takes you" he said.

During the moments of sheer terror, I begin to worry that some decision needs to be made. I begin to doubt my lack of commitment to a specialized area. I am more than just a student, just a chef, just a writer, just an athlete, just a partner, just a daughter, just a teacher. I am all of these things, yet sometimes I fear that I can't have it all. I worry that some precious piece will slip between my fingertips while I am not paying attention and be lost forever. In these moments, I fell calmed by the thought that the only decision I really need to make is the one right in front of me, which happens, at this time, to be "what's for dinner".

Navy Bean Burgers
You can do this one of several ways. You can use canned beans (just rinse them well), you can pre-soak your beans (this reduces the cooking time by a little over half), or you can forget to pre-soak your beans and simply boil them for longer. This is what I did, it only took me about an hour and a half to cook the beans. I added the kombu to help with digestibility of the beans (since I didn't pre-soak). Kombu also adds natural glutamate, which adds a surprising amount of flavor appeal to your food. Whatever you do, do not add salt to the cooking water when cooking beans. Adding salt will increase the cooking time by..a lot. Boil about
3 cups of water
1 cup rinsed navy beans
1 inch piece dried kombu (optional)
reduce heat and simmer for about 90 min (or until beans are soft). Remove from heat, drain, and add to a food processor with
3 cloves of garlic,
1 tsp salt,
1 tsp Florida seasoned pepper (Penseys..or just use salt-free lemon pepper).
Add 1/2 small diced onion,
1/2 cup finely shredded cabbage
1/4 cup fine ground yellow cornmeal
this will hold the patty together loosely. I prefer not to add anything more, because I like it to be light and soft, and I don't really care if it holds together perfectly. If you prefer a richer, meatier, vegetarian burger then stay tuned..it will happen one of these nights I am sure!
Form the burgers into patties and dip each side into coarse ground cornmeal (optional). Fry for about 5 min on each side in a few Tbsp hot grapeseed or vegetable oil. Top with:

Greek Yogurt Dipping Sauce
3 Tbsp Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp Grey Poupon Dijon mustard
1 tsp tarragon, basil, or chipolte pepper

Garnet Yam Fries
These are really easy and good. Preheat oven to 425. Cut 1 garnet yam into fry shape slices (with the peel on). Place fries in a bowl and completely coat with olive oil. Add 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp Mrs Dash salt free seasoning. Spread the fries into an even layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 15 min. Flip them around and bake for an additional 10 min.

Garlic Brussel Sprouts
heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a saucepan and add 4 cloves minced garlic. Very quickly (before the garlic burns) add about 4 cups of quartered and rinsed brussel sprouts. Pour about 1/4 cup water into the pan and cover. Simmer until the water is gone. If they have not reached desired doneness, add a little more water and continue to steam. Before serving, squeeze the juice from 1/2 lemon on top (if you like the lemony flavor add the zest). Season with salt and pepper. If you love brussel sprouts with butter on them, then add a little butter to yours.

Christina's vote: "I think this is the most original thing I have ever tasted."

No comments:

Post a Comment